The Network Engineering Manager (NEM) oversees the Census Questionnaire Assistance (CQA) network engineering, network operation and administration teams. The NEM reports to both the CQA Deputy Program Manager and the Integrated Project Team (IPT) Manager
A well-qualified candidate will possess and apply sound network engineering (LAN/WAN) principles. The candidate must be able to deliver leadership, technical direction and supervision to Network Engineering/Operations/Administration/Maintenance personnel supporting the network operations and maintenance activities across the CQA enterprise.
The candidate must be capable of evaluating personnel, processes, service performance and leading teams in response to project delivery, technical service request, and/or escalated incidents/problems, performing risk assessments, and effectively managing and directing staff to ensure services are performing optimally.
Description of Leadership Duties:
The NEM provides leadership and technical mentorship/guidance to both the IPT and CQA network engineers while managing CQA network engineering initiatives to include engineering support for service interruptions, planned equipment installations, and infrastructure support.
- Provides status of all ongoing project initiatives, plans, system upgrades/enhancements, and Technical Service Requests, as well as knowledge of ongoing operational activities (O&M).
- Provides day-to-day leadership and oversight to a team of technical data, voice and network engineering professionals.
- Provides day-to-day leadership and oversight to a team of network and voice operations engineering professionals.
- Prioritizes, assigns, monitors and reports on technical engineering and project-related efforts, in coordination with the IPT Manager to include other Team Leads and CQA customers, to ensure a high-level of customer satisfaction in a performance-based contracting environment.
- Mentors and tracks performance of CQA technical support staff.
- Manages engineering execution through development, implementation and execution of processes and procedures designed to enable consistent, high- quality execution and effective control of service delivery.
- Interfaces on a daily basis with the Government Project Managers, Branch and Division Chiefs of United States Census Bureau personnel.
- Develops and maintains effective and efficient working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders and other contractors and vendors.
- Supports development of periodic status reports to both CQA and USCB senior leadership on the performance of CQA Network Engineering and Operations staff and services.
Description of Daily Duties:
- Works with IPT Manager, IPT Project Managers, or the Customer Service team to direct, schedule, and monitor Special Project initiatives, technical service requests, and/or operational support across a team of 200+ engineers providing the installation, configuration, and documentation, of project-related and ongoing operations support for data LAN/WAN network services.
- Works with IPT Manager, as needed/requested, to review/update project status captured via Integrated Master Schedule (IMS -a project management information system tool); schedule and monitor engineering resource availability.
- Accountable for meeting and/or exceeding all project-related milestone deliverables.
- Interfaces frequently with IPT Manager, Service Delivery Manager, Customer Service Lead and Asset Manager as required, on upcoming project/engineering system implementation and maintenance activities. Technical service request, or unplanned events to ensure successful project completion.
- Performs quality review of and updates basis of estimates (BOEs), circuit order request forms (CORFs)/quotes, and engineering implementation plans for all project-related or technical services request initiatives.
- Develops, updates and maintains standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Works closely with other CQA Offices/Call Centers and USCB to review/vet data and voice engineering designs/standards/templates and integrates/implements into all CQA-related project/operational initiatives
- Act as a point of escalation for CQA Service Delivery (SNOC and Installation) and Customer Service Support Teams in order to respond, support and coordinate resolution of escalated service impacting incidents/problems/outages.
- Ensures all escalated tickets are actively monitored to ensure incidents and service requests are promptly addressed.
- Communicates all planned/unplanned network service outages to management, Leads and Government customers.
- Participates and facilitates all project/engineering change request with CQA Change Control Boards; briefs CQA Change Control Board of all changes; coordinates and informs CQA Service Delivery Team of all engineering changes for transition to Operations.
- Ensures the data engineering and operations teams are inputting, reviewing and updating, all engineering related assets (routers, switches etc.) within the CQA configuration management database (CMDB) as assets are introduced or updated across the enterprise.
- Analyzes system logs to identify potential issues hardware, software, configuration and lifecycle management.
- Consults, researches, recommends and implements new data and voice solutions into the enterprise.
- Test and implements new hardware and software revision/feature sets/patch evaluation.
- Provide technical briefings (internally as well as with customer representatives), system requirements development, creation and maintenance of system documentation and drawings (specifications, logical and physical architecture and interconnect diagrams, etc.).
- Report and analyze all operational and performance based metrics to identify service improvement and/or training initiatives.
- Maintains enterprise awareness of system maintenance and outages, as well as world events that could impact IT operations.